PIAA District 10 Baseball Forum

A Forum to talk about D10 Baseball
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

True or not?

Go down 

PostSubject: True or not?   Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm

I copied this from another website. I wanted to know if this is in line with your philosophy.

"Coach Voltaire stated: The perfect is the enemy of the good.
He meant that perfection is a mirage. You waste time pursuing it. If he had coached baseball, Mr. Voltaire would have said that perfectionist tendencies in a coach are actually counter-productive.

For baseball, the pursuit of perfection may have some relevance in practice-coaching, but it is downright destructive in game-coaching.

Over the years, my defensive philosophy as a coach has been to avoid the big innings. Teams with perfection-oriented coaches are susceptible to these. My teams are not. I place stress on out-working the other team, not on out-playing them. It's somewhat dishonest on my part, since hard work is less important in baseball than in other sports. But it gets and keeps players in a good frame of mind.

As long as my players are working hard--whatever that means--I'll tell them, "We won that inning" if we cough up three runs in the first inning, even if it's from a couple of miscues. What I mean is, we didn't give up five or ten.

As long as my players are working hard, if we make five errors and the other team makes six--hey, that's a good day. Like anyone, I prefer perfect defense. But if your players even suspect that's your goal, be prepared for some ugly innings. Stress hard work, not out-playing the opponent."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: True or not?   Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:54 pm

I do believe in the difference between coaching in practice and coaching in the actual contest setting. Why would you not strive to be perfect at the craft. If you fall short of doing everything exactly right then you try to get better. The problem is when coaches feel that everything is going to be perfect. People make mistakes (errors) whether mental or physical. In the striving for perfection you try to limit these mistakes to potentially none.
I'm not sure what context this coach was trying to give his comments towards but to not try to be better seems silly.
Back to top Go down
True or not?
Page 1 of 1